Tabor Church is built of white lias stone which was obtained from the local quarry in Lippiatt Lane at the back of Bloomfield which is now allotments. A seam of this white lias stone “The Silver Line” is found between Timsbury and surrounding district towards Bath. There is a story that the stone was hauled by a grey pony that went up and down Lippiatt Lane transporting the stone to the site – just that sturdy grey pony to do all the heavy work.
A large part of the labouring work and the carrying at the quarry was carried out by miners after their normal day’s work in the coal mines. There must have been many workers assisting in the
manual work but we have only been able to name a few who helped quarry the stone: Sidney Knight, a miner, Edmund Hayward, a miner, Jacob Sperring, a miner and Mark Kite.
The building work was carried out by the Smith firm, a local firm in Timsbury. Thomas Smith started in a modest way as a builder doing small jobs of work and he was later joined by his Son Alfred Smith. Tabor Chapel was their first big assignment and the cost was estimated at £400. So for four years the work continued and the Chapel was opened for worship in May 1869.
Based on “The History of Tabor” by Wilf Bridges
More on Tabor’s History
The beginnings of Tabor Church